Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why I am going to teach elementary school

I work at a high school where I help the Native American kids stay on track to graduate. Because more than half of the students are failing, sometimes I have to work up a little motivational push for them to do their assignments. I work with my dear roommate Rojita and somehow I got dubbed as the math tutor. I had mentioned that I can do Algebra I work and now I am the math genius? Let me remind everyone I have barely passed math the last 4 or 5 times I have taken it.

The other day, someone came in and I just couldn't help them. I told them to do the equation one way. They did it, but then I realized that was the wrong equation. I made them erase it. They wrote the other one and solved it. I told them they did it right. But when they went back to check it, they found they made a huge mistake and ended up having to do the whole problem over again. This followed with the next five problems. After that whole ordeal of frustration and "What are you talking about?", they told me they would just go in after school to ask their teacher for help. I think that it's for the best. I just got done helping another girl. I think in the end, we both just wanted to cry. She's coming back in tomorrow so I am taking a math book home to try to relearn it all. Maybe I will bring candy so it's not quite as painful. Could you imagine if I were to actually be a math teacher?

My whole class would cry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha oh boy...
i can totally relate! in high school i was in NHS, and they did a tutoring program after school. i was signed up as a geometry tutor--of all things! so there i was, stuck with this poor kid, trying to do one problem for over an hour before we finally gave up.
needless to say, i asked to be removed from the list of tutors, and the NHS pres. was more than willing to accomadate (spelling?).
it wasn't pretty....
good luck with studying up!

Malaina said...

Oh Elisabeth! I'm just glad it's you, not me... Ok that was rotten to say. I can somewhat relate, when I'm at home I'm Christina's personal chemistry slave... I know all about having to relearn everything just so you can teach it. You'll do great.

Cari said...

That's not in your job description. I'm sorry you have even more added stress! Just tell them math isn't your specialty and arrange tudoring for them.

Sydni Jade said...

I have no idea how you got dubbed "math tutor", but I am sorry. I agree with your mom... just start telling them the tutoring schedule/arranging tutoring. I would take over if it didn't take me 3 tries to pass intermediate algebra. Rojita loves you!

T said...

No te preocupes. At least you will be able to help your kids with their math someday!