My Strictly Ballroom Experience
I swore to myself that I would never do the ballroom thang again. I tried it once and hated it. Until my friend Dustin asked me to try out with him.
"Now, why would I want to do something like Dustin?"
"Come on, It will be fun! You don't need any previous dance experience."
"I'll think about it."
"I know you had a bad time in 8th grade, but I promise this will be fun."
What happened in 8th grade? Well, lets go back 5 years ago to 4th period beginning ballroom.
It just in time for our Christmas concert and we were all getting ready for our foxtrot. I was paired up with this dufus named Kelly. He never showed up to class so he didn't know what he was doing. Then, at the concert, he never showed up. I started to freak out and told my teacher. He told me that I could dance with him, or he'd find another guy. Because it's middle school, there were like 15 guys and 25 girls in the class meaning that we would have to perform our dance number twice so each girl could perform. In the end, I was paired up with this jerk who was all mean to me when we were dancing. When I got home, I promised myself I would never do ballroom again.
Fastforward 5 years. I am standing there in SUU's ballroom with my turquoise skirt, my hair beautifully put in an updo by my lovely roommates, and a number 28 pinned to my back. Dustin said, "Hey Elisabeth, if you make it, you could meet Benji." "Shutup Dustin."
The ballroom instructor told us that we would be performing a waltz and cha-cha. I was relieved because that was what I practiced with Dustin. After we learned the routines and stuff, he started teaching us the jive. Someone raised their hand and asked, "So, is the girls part or the guys part?" The teacher said, "Oh, this is both. You will be performing this as a solo." WHAT?!!! If anyone knows me well enough, you know that I don't do the solo thing.
I did the whole cha-cha and waltz and thought it was pretty good. Then all the girls had to line up in rows of 6 and had to do the jive in front of the judges. I put a smile on my face and faked my way through it. It was horrible. I yelled at Dustin afterwards because he forgot to tell me about the whole solo part even though he didn't know himself.
Well, the results came yesterday and I didn't make the team. I'm really relieved because I'm not ready for a commitment like ballroom (practices every day from 6-8 in the morning, Saturdays 8 to whenever). So, I guess I'll never have to talk to those ballroom kids again right? Wrong. I'm going to the BBQ tonight with Dustin, who made the team by the way.
To end this blog, I would like to tell you that I saw a van at Mavrick yesterday with "Just Remarried" painted on the back window. It made me laugh.
2 comments:
Do you think you could do the jive for us on Christmas Eve? It would definately be a step up from "Jingle Bell Rock"!
"Just Remarried"...lovely.
Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment