Saturday, August 28, 2010

Week one: check!

I finished my first week as a teacher! I feel so blessed to have the job that I do. I was really worried about how this week would go. Monday was my first day. I planned a lot of stuff to do and talk about, I even thought I overplanned. At 2:40, I had to hurry and come up with a few extra activities because I finished all my first day lessons. But, my students are really great.

I had Back to School Night on Thursday. It went a lot better than I thought it would. All the parents that came were really nice and very willing to know more about their child's class. It was great.

My classroom is finally almost put together. I only had 3 days to set it up so I'm a little behind, but it's coming together nicely. It finally looks like a classroom.

I have 31 kids in my class. It's a bit crazy (we're still working on noise level) but it's a lot of fun. 5th graders are so funny!

The other teachers and the principal are so helpful! I feel really lucky to have a great support system in my school. Their always asking if I need help or if I need anything.

I signed up to take a math class (ya, I really did). It's to learn how to do this thing called math mapping where you take the math core and math book and basically create your own math book to follow. It's every Wednesday night, but I am actually pretty excited for it. Plus, I get my own set of math manipulatives. Yay!

The commute isn't the greatest, but it's not that bad. It's about 40-45 min in the morning and 1 hour to an hour and a half coming home (I take the long way so I can beat traffic). I know I will complain once winter hits, but again I am I just so grateful for this job.

Anyway, that's about what happened this week. It was a great week.

Now I am extremely tired and I have to register my car (being an adult sucks).

3 comments:

Malaina said...

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear more about your class.

Streetlights94 said...

Yay manipulatives! Just wait until you start getting the free tote bags. Score.

Cari said...

I'm guessing you just made it through one of the hardest weeks of the year , so as Christian says, "G'd job!" :) I love you!