Monday, September 22, 2008

You know they call us "Utards" right?

I have lived in Utah for 17 years, and in Utah county for 10. I am pleased to say that I haven't picked up on some of those...let's just call them Utah quirks. I am happy to say that my hair is pretty normal and by normal I mean I don't defy the laws of hair growth by teasing it so much in the back that it sticks up 3 inches above my head then flat iron it stick straight. Cause you know how everyone's head is shaped like a box? None of this going on back there. (Side note, I saw a girl who had hair just like this, but even poofier. Is that even possible? And is poofier even a real word?) I have also never had green jello with carrots. I didn't even know that was a big thing, I just always thought it was a joke until someone told me how good it tasted and how Sister so-and-so always makes it for Enrichment night.

I also have seemed to not pick up on the accent, even though I do slip a few times and forget to pronounce my t's in the middle of some words.
Well today, I was sitting in my class with one of my friends. I asked her if she could hand me something from the other table. It came out something like this:

"Hey, could you git me that over there?"


Yes, I said git. And that's not the first time. In the past week (yes I have been keeping track. What do you do in your spare time?) I have said such words as "thin", "melk", "cren", and "seex" which all roughly translate to "then", "milk", "crayon" and "six" (but I guess that's not the first time I have mispronounced the word "six"...I'll have to tell you about that one later). To reassure myself, I said to myself "well at least you're not using "ar" in the place of "or" (example: "go stand in the carner!").

But I spoke way too soon. After getting my hair cut today, I was telling one of my friends where my stylist was from (what do you and your friends talk about?) I said something like this:
"She said she is from up north too. Like American Fark or something".
That statement alone only led to some teasing and a new thing I probably won't live down for a while...especially since (not "seence") that's where the majority of my jokes come from.

So, I guess I am a Utard after all. Did you know that's what they call us? Yup. All those cool Vegas kids.
But I guess I will keep talking this way.

Just don't ever let me look like this.

6 comments:

{lauren} said...

hahahahahahaha

oh man

hahahahahahahaha

no, but seriously. i think its the water down here. or that we're surrounded by a whole load of hick. speaking of hicks we need to gossip. pronto.

Anonymous said...

OH-MY-GOSH, wow, people really do their hair like that and walk around in public... we really are utards here...
aaahhh!
ha ha you forgoted "mountin and eatin and lay-in" (mountain and eating and latyon). good ol' utahn accent!!!
go drink some melk and lie on your pellow! ha ha ha

Cortney Chambers said...

i predict that by the end of your stay in cedar city you will either have a perm or that short hair cut thats longer in front with short straight iron pieces all on top and in back sticking up and out and everywhere! just kidding! your hair is beautiful no matter what you do, lucky girl!

Sydni Jade said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I really did laugh out loud for this one! I think it's hilarious that you're picking up on the accent! lol... I won't let you look like that if you show me the same courtesy! ;)

Cari said...

you cut your hair!?!

I thought you were just getting your eyebrows done?

I can't see the links on daddy's phone but I can imagine.

I love you! send me a picture when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're not saying "pop" for soda and going to a "show" for a movie.

cuz i am...